5 Top Digital Marketing Trends For 2020
Updated: Jan 4
Each year we share what we believe to be the biggest trends within Digital Marketing for the year ahead. Discover how these trends will affect your business in 2020 and how My Social Consultant can help you achieve your marketing goals.
1. Data Analysis - The Evolution of Analytics & Big Data
Google Analytics has been a long time leader for measuring website traffic. It’s the go to tool for many marketing experts for checking results of digital ad campaigns, organic and referral traffic.
In 2020, this is all going to change. The amount of information Google Analytics can track is exceptional, especially considering the tool is free. However, with the rise of the importance of this digital data, there needs to be new ways to understand and display it.
Step forward marketing dashboards. Something My Social Consultant believes strongly about, is transparency. The data the analytics provides needs to be interpreted clearly in a way everyone within a organisation can understand. Google’s dashboard platform, Data Studio, allows users to build custom dashboards based on the agreed KPI’s. This is integrated seamlessly with Google Analytics but other platforms such as Facebook and Instagram ads enabling a clearer yet more detailed picture.
These newly created dashboards allows organisations to be reactive and adopt new strategies to multiple areas of their business such as, sales, user experience, audience retention and many more. This is backed up by Mckinsey Research that suggested that "Intensive users of customer analytics are 23 times more likely to outperform their competitors."
2019 saw a sharp rise in the amount of businesses using ChatBots. This rise is set to con
tinue with some predicting that Chatbots will power 85% of online customer services by the end of the year.
Chatbots offer organisations many benefits such as:
1. Response time for clients who get answers to questions much quicker than traditional contact methods such as phone and email.
2. Gather data from potential customers such as emails, and discover questions they have. This allows you to adapt your content to be clearer and allows the potential to target and convert these customers through remarketing.
3. Improves Website Experience by having 24/7 customer support. If a customer has a question the chatbot can deliver the answer and fix the problem without ever leaving the site. This also improves the dwell time on the site which benefits your sites SEO.
It is clear to see why Chatbots will have a big year in 2020 and why 80% of businesses are actively looking to add a Chatbot to their online properties in 2020.
3. Smart Speaker & Voice Search
With 50% of all online searches coming from voice in 2020, many marketeers are having to adapt their strategy. Currently voice search accounts for $2 billion in retail sales, this is set to rise to an incredible $40 billion in the next 2 years. With over 50% of Americans expected to have access to a smart speak in the next 18 months, the time to act for Voice Search is now.
4. Marketing Spread
In previous years, marketeers could choose one marketing strategy and a single platform. With real focus on one platform they could harness enough exposure and authority to launch companies, products and campaigns.
Times were simple, plough the whole advertising budget on Facebook, create an audience and the job was done.
These days are over and in 2020 its more important than ever to have as many touch points as possible. Many experts are saying that the customer sales funnel is dead, and to degree this is true, but rather than the funnel being dead, it just needs an update. Customers are using the internet in new ways and being bombarded with information all the time. Marketing campaigns need to be expanding the connections they make with the consumer. This means looking at new places to reach them which all require different tone of voice and messaging techniques.
Alternative social channels such as Reddit, Pinterest, Snapchat & Medium are great finding niche audience groups and are showing signs of big growth in the coming years. It makes sense therefore to utilise these channels now and therefore develop your presence before it's too late.
5. Generation Z
This new generation (people born since the year 2000) are now becoming adults. Although each generation has it differences, this new generation require special thought. With some reports suggesting that up to 40% of online consumers will fall into this group in the next two years, this generation have the the power to change the future of marketing.
There are a few areas to focus on when targeting generation Z and these are:
1. Authenticity - Luckily at My Social Consultant we believe in authenticity and transparency, and this generation is no different. They are leading the way in making sure they are told the truth and therefore honesty is the best policy.
2. Privacy - Back in 2018 when GDPR came into effect companies around the world lost data which had not been collected correctly or by not being able to store it in the correct manner. With the increase of online hack attacks and hefty fines for companies who don't follow the strict guidelines, 2020 will be a big year for online security and privacy. So when using data from Generation Z use it wisely to help the consumer not to exploit.
3. Diversity - Shockingly diversity is still an issue in the marketing world. Generation Z will correctly highlight any issues and brand reputation and loyalty could be ruined forever if this isn't managed in a suitable manner. So make sure all marketing is reflects diversity as much as possible.
We hope you have enjoyed My Social Consultant's top 5 Digital Marketing trends for 2020 and if you would like to discuss any aspect in more detail please don't hesitate to contact us.